The County Clerk in the State of New Jersey is a county-wide elected Constitutional Officer. The County Clerk is responsible for the administration of a broad range of services including the filing and recording of all documents affecting real estate ownership and transfer, the processing of US Passport applications, assisting individuals who wish to become a Notary Public, issuance of County ID Cards, filing of Business Trade Names, and the supervision of elections.
The Salem County Clerk also maintains the archival and historic documents of Salem County, including newspapers dating back to the 1800’s. In addition, the County Clerk provides a speaker program to organizations and schools. The County Clerk’s Office is a major source of funding for the County of Salem’s budget. In the past five years, the County Clerks’ Office has added nearly three million dollars in revenue to the county and also has given the State of NJ nearly six million for the state budget.
Please note that the County Clerk is not in charge of Court Records. Please contact the appropriate state office for information related to the Courts. Please note these records are not held by County Clerk. Birth records are kept in the Vital Statistics office of the municipality where born. Marriage Certificates are in the municipality where the marriage was held.
Salem County Clerk’s Office
110 Fifth St., Suite 200
Salem, NJ 08079
Main #: 856.935.7510
Founded in 1727, the Salem County NJ Clerk is responsible for Real Estate Recording Services, Passport Services, Election Supervision, Identification Services, Trade Names, Registration, Notary Public, Genealogical Research & more.
News & Announcements
- Horse & Plow Newsletter - Check out our latest edition of Horse & Plow newsletter, released quarterly with archived editions also available.
- With tie vote in Salem County freeholder race, board seat now vacant - Eight ballots originally disqualified in November's election were counted per a judge's order, resulting in a tie and empty freeholder seat.
- US NAVY’s 241st Birthday Celebration - In October, the UNITED STATES NAVY will celebrate its 241st birthday!
- Churches of Salem County - We have released the 2015 edition of the "Churches of Salem County New Jersey", with 120 pages in PDF format.
- 2014 Faces of War - The Salem County Clerk is proud to present the 2014 edition of "Faces of War", honoring Salem County's veterans.
- Salem County veterans share memories of their service in the Korean War - Veterans reminisce at the Salem County Clerk's Korean War Veterans Remembrance Day Luncheon.
- Enjoy the Delaware City – Salem Ferry! - FUN – HISTORY – NATURE If you have not yet discovered this wonderful treasure in our own backyard, the folks here at the Salem County Clerk’s Office wish to introduce you to the Delaware City – Salem Ferry. This is a wonderful day trip that will entertain and educate the entire family. Please visit their […]
- Veterans’ Identification Cards are Available - The Salem County Clerk's Office issues Veterans' Identification Cards used for discounts at local businesses. Any veteran wishing to apply for a card may apply in person at the County Clerk's Office between 9:00a - 4:00p Monday - Friday (excluding holidays).
- Salem County Clerk’s Valentine’s Day Weddings - By the power vested in me by the State of New Jersey, I now pronounce you Husband & Wife! This is one of the best jobs a County Clerk can have! See the full photo album on our Facebook page here.