In addition to your application, you will need proof of U.S. Citizenship and Identification as well as a passport photo.
Please see the full list of requirements below.
Updated Information on Service Times
Mail delays are impacting when the US Passport Service receive passport applications for processing. Processing times begin the day they receive an application, not the day it is mailed. With this in mind, the service times are as follows:
- Routine service can take up to 14 weeks from the day an application is submitted at an acceptance facility or renewed through the mail to the day a new passport is received by the customer. (The 14-week timeframe includes up to 8 weeks for processing at the passport agency and up to 6 weeks for mailing times on the front and back end.)
- Expedited service (for an additional $60) can take up to 10 weeks from the day an application is submitted at an acceptance facility or renewed through the mail to the day a new passport is received by the customer. (The 10-week timeframe includes up to 6 weeks for processing and up to 4 weeks for mailing times on the front and back end.)
- For faster mailing times, customers may opt to pay for 1-2 day delivery service for applications mailed to Passport Services and for the mailing of their new passport.
Customers who have a life-or-death emergency or urgent travel within 3 business days should visit our website at travel.state.gov for information on how we can assist them.
As a general rule, passports should have at least six months of validity when traveling internationally. Most countries will not permit a traveler to enter their country unless the passport is set to expire at least six months after the final day of travel.
You need to renew your passport before travelling if you do not have enough time left on your passport.
Requirements for a Passport Book & Card
Additional information may be obtained at – www.travel.state.gov
- PRINT LEGIBLY USING BLACK INK ONLY
- DO NOT SCRIBBLE ON FORM. If you make a mistake, strike thru with ONE line. Do this for each mistake. For example:
mistake with a line through it
1. Birth Certificates with raised seal, certified copy or Naturalization Papers.
- Birth Certificates MUST AT LEAST ONE (1) OF THE PARENT’S NAMES.
- If name has been changed as a result of marriage and/or divorce you will need original marriage/divorce documents.
2. A passport photograph (white background – NO school pictures) to send with your application must be provided by the Applicant.
BIRTH CERTIFICATES OR NATURALIZATION PAPERS WILL BE SENT WITH YOUR PASSPORT APPLICATION TO THE PASSPORT AGENCY & WILL BE RETURNED IN APPROXIMATELY 6 WEEKS SEPARATELY FROM YOUR PASSPORT
3. Passport Fees
Check or Money Order – Payable to U.S. Department of State for:
vi. Adult Book $130.00 for 10 Years
ii. Minors 15 and younger $100.00 for 5 Years
i. Adult Card $30.00 for 10 Years
ii. Minors 15 and younger $15.00 for 5 Years
Check, Money Order, or Cash – Payable to Salem County Clerk
$35.00 Application Fee; Additional $10.00 if we take your photo.
Routine: Up to 14 weeks, door-to-door, from date of application.
Expedited: Up to 10 weeks, door-to-door, from date of application.
Expedited service costs an additional $60 and should be included with the passport fees at the time of application
RETURN OVERNIGHT DELIVERY IS $18.32
4. Driver’s License required as identification for the signing Applicant or:
- Minors under age 16 – BOTH Parents/Guardians must Appear, Sign and have ID
- Age 16-17 – ONE parent may sign unless minor has their own identification
All persons applying for a passport MUST appear in person in our office and MUST sign in the presence of Clerk’s personnel.
5. If applicant presents out-of-state primary identification s/he must present additional primary, secondary, or supplemental ID document.
- State Issued ID
- Work ID
- School or College ID
- Expired Driver’s License
- Social Security Card
- Health card
- Voter Registration Card
6. Refer to back of passport application for more specific information or travel.state.gov